Posts Y'all Like

Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Top 25s (ie cleaning break!) Part 3: Music

Well, this entry should be interesting, simply because I so rarely know artists or song titles. Most of the time, I can sing them word for word, but my brain rarely takes the time to remember the specifics beyond that. If the song is really good I tend to remember it, but that's about it. Today was a day off of work for me, so I've been cleaning house all day. I'm exhausted, so I'm taking a SHORT break. I want the house to be really clean and be in bed by midnight at the latest. So, here goes...

My Top 25 Favorites in Music

1) "Take it Easy" by The Eagles
-This is one of the ones I took the time to remember by name AND artist...but not until my Junior year of college, though I had heard it long before that. I like the song for many reasons, but the number one is the quote "We may lose, and we may win...but we will never be here again". Hands down, that's my favorite quote from a song EVER. I think I took notice of it in college, and not before, because that's exactly how I felt about that time in my life--and how right I was. While I didn't take it for granted (I loved and appreciated every moment of my time at Ole Miss), it still hits me hard every time I hear that lyric. Of course we can't go back in time, and I know that it wouldn't the same anyway if we did, but sometimes I miss Oxford, MS so much it's literally painful. I'm lucky in that I've kept up with many of my best friends from there quite well, and others at least on FB, but I know that I will never find a place--or a time--like that part of my life again. Bittersweet, for sure.

2) "Fancy" by Reba McEntire
-I've always loved this song, both because it is amazing...and ridiculous. Especially the video. You're missing out if you haven't watched that on YouTube. Anyway, I love Reba and have tons of respect for her, and this song has a great message and a *very* catchy tune....buuuuuuuuuut, it's just a wee bit over the top. And by "a wee bit", I mean completely.

3) Rascal Flatts--pretty much in general.
-"Shine On" sticks out in my mind though, because it is almost guaranteed to cheer me up when I'm down. I generally just love their sound and the personality that comes through in their music.

4) Dolly Parton--always.
-I love her twangy sound and the lyrics in her music, but even more so her crazy style and flair--and her ability to admit it and poke fun of herself. She's one classy lady, even if she hides it in (intentional) white trash.

5) Mark Shultz
--...but only if I'm in the mood for tears and pondering of the past. But yeah, great songs with powerful messages. And tears--almost always tears.

7) "Find Out Who Your Friends Are" by Tracy Lawrence
--This song has always, and will forever, remind me of Elise, Lauren, and Rachael and the memories that I can only remember with happiness--even as things have changed a little with those friendships. I still consider them "my girls" and always will, and they helped me make some of the best memories I could ever hope to make. Those are some of the ones that bring me back up from the darkest depressions and lowest moments. As with so many things in my life, what has happened since college seemed to be almost entirely out of my control. I do still talk to them, but so rarely and in such a different way. After 2 years, I understand that things are understandably different as we get older and don't live in the same town anymore--and I know that those friendships were unique because of Oxford, and mostly because of those people. I miss them with all of my heart. Reason #56778965 for hating that my car is currently out of commission--I desparately need to see my friends and Oxford. Seriously, my heart needs this.

8) "Cha Cha Slide"
--Oh drunken memories--great at the time, and even better now that I don't drink or go out...well...ever. Mostly, I know that's a good thing and I'm growing up, but on the other hand, none of my friends I've made here since I moved back REALLY know how I was then--carefree (even during some of my worst psych times), happy, adorable, the life of the party. This song reminds me of that.

9) "The Climb"--Miley Cyrus
--Shut up, I know. I tried to hate it like I can't stand that little brat. Her regular speaking voice makes me want to hit her in the face, but I loved this song. It was sweet, and her singing voice doesn't sound anything like her talking one--phew!

10) Disney Songs (especially from Mulan, Little Mermaid, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast)
--I have a ton on my iPod, and I dare you to stay pissed at ANYTHING when one of those comes on. You can't--because you'll be singing. Yeah, don't even lie--we ALL know the words.

11) Johnny Cash (and June Carter Cash!)
--I don't particularly always like his voice, but his music? Amazing. I think the fact that he had such a rocky life, and lived through so much, makes me love him more. He truly fought for the things--and especially people--in his life, even if it was against himself. And Johnny and June together? There's a couple who fought to love each other, and prevailed. Just amazing.

12) "Ghetto Superstar"
--This is totally saved on my YouTube favorites on my phone. Because it's amazing. It always makes an awkward situation less so, unless the person doesn't know the song. Then I'm just confused and afraid and a little angry. But seriously--such a hit--and Halle Berry is in the video. Like, for real. Oh, the '90s.

13) "When I Get Where I'm Going"-Brad Paisely and Dolly Parton
--It's just a beautiful song, and the words--especially about his grandpa--hit so close to home. It almost makes me want to call my grandparents (Mom's side), but then I remember that they cussed me out and haven't called since--6 years ago. This song, though, reminds me of a time when they did love me (I think).

14) The Dixie Chicks (in the 90s)
--I still know all of these by heart, even if its been years since I heard them. No worries now--they're all on my iPod.

15) Old School Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, and Spice Girls
--Come on, they hit the scene when I was 12--I have no choice but to be infatuated with them. At that age, everything is ingrained in your head...forever, it seems.

16) Cotton Eye Joe
--I love it and hate it. It gets stuck in my head for--literally--weeks, but it's so fun. Oh conundrum.

17) "Wagon Wheel"--Old Crow Medicine Show
--Thanks to Elise (again) for making me listen to this so many years ago. I can't explain why I love it so much--I just do. It's such a beautiful song, and it reminds me, once again, of college. Any reminder of that time in my life is a blessing.

18) "Go Rest High On That Mountain"--Vince Gill
--Such a beautiful song with an incredibly important message. Not to be morbid, but it's the song I want sung at my funeral. It explains so much that it's hard to say out loud in everyday life. Wonderful, amazing song.

19) Most of the songs from both "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Les Miserables"
--I saw both of these for the first time when I was 10 (and got "golden ticket" keychains for both) and have loved them ever since. For one thing, they are very happy childhood memories; for another, both are amazing musicals that have spanned generations and will (hopefully!) continue to do so for years to come.

20) "Dreaming of You"--Selena
--Okay, the lyrics creep me out a little--is there REALLY nowhere she would rather be than in her room dreaming of somebody (like, why not go one better and be WITH him?) but Selena's voice is beautiful. It's such a shame she was killed (by her fan club president--WTF??) at only 23 years old--there's no telling what she would have done if she had lived. Not just musically--we all know it would have been amazing, but also just in life. Her family still mourns her as if it happened only yesterday, and it speaks about how wonderful of a person she must have been in her private life as well. Such a tragic loss.

21) Garth Brooks!
--Two that instantly come to mind are "Standing Outside the Fire" and "Calling Baton Rouge", but pretty much anything he's released ranks in my favorites. I just totally love his voice and his personality!

22) "Just To See You Smile"--Tim McGraw
--It just makes me insanely happy--everybody should be loved and cherished in such a way. Here's hoping!

23) "Love, Me"--Collin Raye
--Just as I can't read "I'll love you forever" without bawling like a little girl, this song gets me every time. It's poignant and sweet and right to the point. It makes me happy and sad at the same time--always a fun feeling haha!

24) "Ain't No Other Man"--Christina Aguilera
--I like most of her music anyway--what a voice!--but this one reminds me of Meredith and McAlister's, which makes it even better. It didn't matter if we had customers out the door...if this song came on, everybody knew Meredith and I were out of commission for the duration of it (especially the "break it down" part--because we always did). I could be totally half asleep, and if this song came on, I'm instantly wide awake! Love Love LOVE.

25) "Tootsee Roll"--69 Boyz
--I had to end on a fun one (and FYI, this list could probably go on forever. Turns out , music really IS the shit). THIS song, though, is in my favorites for a ridiculous amount of reasons. First, at the beginning of the song they remind you it came out in 1994 (SERIOUSLY?), and that serves to both make me feel old AND wonder...why in the hell was I listening to this song when I was 8? Second, you can't NOT dance when that song comes on--it's like a reflex. Also, don't be confused--"it ain't the butterfly, it's the tootsee roll"--in case you forgot the name of the song or the repeated "tootsee roll" phrase. For real though, this song is awesome no matter how you look at it. And by "awesome", I mean ridiculous... and timeless.

Like so much in my life, I love these songs because they take me back to a time when I was truly happy. I'm not saying I'm a depressed wreck now or anything, but happy like "Ole Miss happy"? Not even close. Maybe you only get that once in a lifetime? Or maybe it's time I get my ass back to moving in MS? We'll go with the latter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment